This article is from Alternativenewsreport
Preparing a Personal Bug-Out Bag: What You Will Need
I’m re-posting the vital info people would need to have a personal “bug-out” bag at the ready in their homes in case they needed to evacuate the premises in a hurry. I’m guilty this year of not updating my own bag, so while I do that, here’s thew info you will need to prep your own – for new subscribers.
This will depend on a number of factors, such as the area you live in (climate, elevation, etc….) But the basics are as follows:
A disaster plan that includes the location of emergency areas, rallying points, multiple evacuation routes, maps of the area, trail maps, etc (make sure you use a water proof laminate to protect your plans). First Aid Kit Possible Kits to look at are as follows:
- All-Purpose First Aid Kit, 170 Items In Plastic Case With Carry Handle
- First Aid Only Outdoor First Aid Kit, Soft Case, 205-Piece Kit
- Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Medic Kit
- 10-Unit First Aid Kit
Professional Survival Book This should be studied before hand and kept for reference during a disaster. Recommended books are:
- SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, ...
- When All Hell Breaks Loose
- US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
- Stainless Steel GI Type Canteen Cup Great for Boiling and Sterilizing water
- Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottles *Sturdy Water Bottles that can be used to boil water
Clothing Socks, gloves, rain suit, poncho, jacket, hat, bandannas, and clothing for your environment. A few assorted knives Recommended Knives:
- The Seal Pup By SOG is one of my favorite Knives, it is one of the best knife I have found)
- EvoGrip S557 Knife with Red & Black Handle from Swiss Army
Camp Axe & Shovel
- Fiskars 8-Inch Hatchet #7855
- Fiskars Splitting Axe 23.5-Inch #7853
- Gerber 45905 Camp Axe – Sheath – Clam
- Folding Spade NATO Approved Knife from Gerber Knives
- Gerber 22-80010 Infinity Ultra LED Task Light, Green
- Nightstar Magnetic Force Flashlight Hi-Tech ClearSelf Powered Flashlight * A must have for when the batteries fail. Sturdy and not a cheapo imitation
- Surefire E2E-HA Executive Elite
Radio A must to keep up on what is going on.
- Etón FR500 Solarlink (Black) Solar Powered Radio with AM/FM/Shortwave/NOAA radio built-in LED flashlight and cell phone charger * Awesome Radio
Fire Starting Waterproof Matches, a couple Lighters, Tinder and one of the following:
- Ultimate Survival Technologies BlastMatch All Weather Firestarter (...
- Brunton Striker Magnesium Fire Starter (Silver/Black)
- Leatherman 830040 New Wave Multi-Tool with Nylon Sheath
- Leatherman 830160 Surge Pocket Multitool with Leather Sheath
Cordage (wide variety of uses, traps, etc….) *550 Paracord CASH & Documents have some extra cash in your bag, as well as a copy of all your important documents (SS Card, I.D., Fishing hunting License, Gun License, etc…) Firearm(s) and ammunition.
- 10/22 Ruger is a great all around survival gun that will never fail and will last forever. Ammo is dirt cheap at under $20 for 500 rounds It also has A ton of 10/22 after market gear
WATER a liter per day per person (enough to get you by until you find a clean source of water) Water Purifiers & Filters:
(Any one below would be a good choice)
- SteriPEN Adventurer Handheld Water Purifier
- Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter
- Katadyn TRK Drip Ceradyn Water Filter
- Lifesaver Bottle 4000 Ultra Filtration Water Bottle
- Katadyn Combi Water Microfilter
MulitVitamins Keep your strength up as your diet changes. Extra Medicine *If needed because of preexisting condition Navigation Compass, Maps, GPS, etc….
- Suunto MC-2 Global Compass
- Brunton Pocket Transit Conventional Compass with 0-360 Degree Scale
Communication Portable C.B or Ham Radio. Fishing Gear Bobbers Hooks, fishing line, small collapsible pole. Emergency Food Stuff that will last and give you the most bang for your buck ( peanut butter, jerky, sardines, granola bars, salt, dried fruit, MRE’s, etc…)
- SARDINES IN WATER, 24 pack of 3.75 oz cans
- Clif Bar Energy Bars, 2.4-Ounce Bars (Pack of 24)
- 3600 Calorie ER Bar – Emergency Food Ration
Shelter Sleeping bag, tent, tarp, etc…. Extra Batteries
- Energizer NH15BP-4 ACCU 2500mAh Rechargeable AA Batteries (Four-pack) * rechargeable wit solar charger below
- Brunton Solarport 4.4 Watt Foldable Solar Charger with Battery Charger Great for recharging AA/AAA batteries for electronics
- Brunton 26 Watt Foldable Solar Array Great for powering small electronics
Signal Devices Flares, Signaling Mirror, Whistle Duct tape & Misc. Extras Candles, Safety Pins, sewing needles and thread, Playing Cards for entertainment, Wire for snaring.
Customize your bag for yourself and your family’s special needs. This list is intended as a generalized start for people new to survival preparedness. Use common sense. If you have been fishing and wouldn’t know where to begin to fish, don’t waste money on fishing gear, etc.